"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense."
- David Blaikie

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Coyote Peak

After wrapping up a rather long, but successful meeting with a business partner today I jumped in the car and sped off to the Santa Teresa Park in the hills Southwest of San Jose, CA.

This park is nestled between IBM's Almaden Research Lab and the Silicon Valley Lab where I first interned with IBM and then hired on 10 years ago. This is also where I first got interested in trail running. These hills really call out to me and I spent a lot of time today just wandering around remembering different parts of the trails and the surrounding landscape.

Santa Teresa Park features acres of rolling hills, many native plants and wildflowers, and spectacular views in every direction. I also saw quite a few deer today.

The most prominent feature in the park is Coyote Peak at about 1150 ft.

I remembered my Garmin and got a nice profile. Sure felt more than 650 ft on the run up! There's really very little relief and the grade is steep (650 ft in a little less than 1 mi).






No comments: