"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense."
- David Blaikie

Monday, June 1, 2009

Training Log: Week 3 for Hardrock

Week 3 of a 9 week training cycle for Hardrock 100.

This week's Hardrock picture was comfort food. There appears to be some runnable trail in the pictures I've seen, but I don't know where they sneak it in given the elevation profile.

  • Mon: 8 miles (am: 8 mi)
    Running with Caleb and just having fun. Thought I'd get back out later for another run, but memorial day festivities caught up with me.
  • Tue: 12 miles (pm: 12)
    Drive to DC early, conference all day, then run around town... Capitol building, Lincoln Memorial, Capitol building, Lincoln Memorial, rinse & repeat...
  • Wed: 0 miles
    Great googly moogly. Work, conference, drive, work... blech.
  • Thurs: 20 miles (am: 5, pm1: 9.5mi, pm2: 5.5mi)
    Quick 5 before work, then 9.5 miles of stairs at lunch and another short run after work. Getting mileage with lots of runs... kinda like getting lots of little cards in blackjack.
  • Fri: 20 miles (am: 11mi, pm 9mi)
    11 miles before work with a group of 13 Trailheads who are training for Highland Sky, San Juan Solstice, or other events. 9 miles of stairs in the afternoon.
  • Sat: 21 miles (am: 21)
    Blackjack!
  • Sun: 10 miles (am: 3.5, pm: 6.5)
    4:30 am start hoping to get some miles before Elena's 6:30 run, but left knee was talking to me. Decided to practice walking form instead. Saw a fox. Came back after dark and felt much better.

Total: 91M

Decent mileage. A few miles short of my weekly goal and too many little runs, but really a solid week.

Next up: Focus on climbing strength - more stairs, weights. Longer long runs. More sleep...

3 comments:

Z said...

Hey Weez,

You inspire me, buddy. I know I've probably told you this a million times, but I mean it. I'm really glad you're updating again, because reading your blog makes me totally happy. I know a lot of people see you as some sort of amazing running energizer bunny, but I totally recognize all the balancing that has to happen in every single day for you to do what you love among the people and other aspects of life you also love.

If I can come out of my hellish injured year with half as much unswerving dedication and grace, I would be very, very lucky.

Run on, friend.

-Z

-blade said...

You got Black Jack! Nice, there is hope for the game. The training looks great.

Joseph Lea said...

Thanks guys! One more week of NC training and then I'm off to Colorado! Blade, are you going to be able to make it out?