"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense."
- David Blaikie

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Weekly log: April 28 - May 4

Week 2 of 6 in preparation for Bighorn 100.
  • Mon - 0 (did I mention I have a job and 3 kids?)
  • Tues - 21 (am: 11 mi; pm: 10 mi)
  • Wed - 18
  • Thurs - 13
  • Fri - 11 (had a massage with z-bow later that day and felt amazing on my long run the next am)
  • Sat - 26
  • Sun - 10.5 (4x pumpkin loops: 18:23, 18:03, 17:28, 16:02)
Weekly Total: 100 mi

Great week at home on the Carolina North Forest trails. 7 runs total vs 9 last week for the same distance. Even managed a full (unplanned) day off. Pretty consistent so far, but this coming week will get a little weird with a business trip to CA and the Quicksilver 50M Sat. I'm going to be pretty busy at the JavaOne conference in San Francisco and unfortunately may not find time to get out on the many spectacular trails around the Bay Area.

Tentative plan for week 3 is to get at least a couple descent runs in as well as some cross training in the hotel pool and weight room. Then I'll use the 50M on Sat as a good hill training run. No real goals for Quicksilver right now. I'd just like to get through it feeling strong and psychologically ready for that to be the half way point.

Qicksilver will also be a good opportunity to put 50 consecutive miles on my La Sportiva Crosslites. I'm zeroing in on these as my Bighorn shoes, but not 100% yet. I like the weight and the aggressive sole, but the NB 790 toebox is a better fit for me. Maybe I'll mix it up a bit.

No comments: