"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense."
- David Blaikie

Monday, May 18, 2009

Training Log: Week 1 for Hardrock

Week 1 of a 9 week training cycle for Hardrock 100.

The picture here was my desktop background for week 1. I'll rotate new pictures in each week during the training cycle.

It was a little tough ramping up the miles after taking a couple low mileage weeks, but nothing too stressful and by the weekend I was feeling smooth for the long run at MMT 100. I tried to load the miles during the early part of the week and then rest a little so I would be ready for anything while pacing. Definitely sleeping more this week and focusing on getting enough protein.
  • Mon: 20 miles. (am: 12mi, pm: 8mi.)
    4:30 am start for 2 sets of loops from Seawell. Slow and comfortable. Nice temp with light rain. Afternoon was a very relaxed 1:16 Ocho.
  • Tues: 22 miles. (am: 17mi, pm: 5mi)
    3:10 in the morning all single track with the hill route in the middle. A little tired by the end. Couple pumpkin loops in the afternoon at 17:50 and 17:45.
  • Wed: 4 miles (am: 4)
    Easy 4 miles looking for the crowd around Wilson park.
  • Thurs: 5 miles (am: 5)
    Couple pumpkin loops and warmdown.
  • Fri: 6 miles (am 6)
    Freaky Friday plus a little. A little amped after taking it easy the last couple days.
  • Sat: 43 miles (MMT pacing)
    12 hours on feet and some challenging technical trails at Massanutten Mountain Trail 100. Felt great! Mini taper worked fine.

Total: 100M

Happy to be running right now and enjoying the hard work. I've literally been thinking about this race for 10 years and will not blow it now by failing to prepare!

Next up...

Feeling pretty good right now and expecting to plateau here for the next couple weeks. I think this week I'll work my climbing muscles a little more. Noticed at MMT that a 1000' climb felt like a big hill... need to adjust my views there!

My feet were pretty beat up after the wet conditions at MMT too. Need to start toughening them up a little more this week too (don't ask).

It seems a little strange to prepare so vigorously for a race that I only hope to finish. I'll work on some stretch goals this week too... right now I have no idea what place or time I should expect.

No comments: