"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense."
- David Blaikie

Sunday, January 11, 2009

2009!

It's been a bit hectic with the holidays and preparation for the 4th Little River Trail Runs, but finally coming up for air and posting on a few things.

Closing out the 2008 log it looks like I made it to 2812 miles. That's roughly the distance from Chapel Hill to San Francisco, which some people will do in the span of a few months. A bit short of my 3k goal, but 850 miles better than 2007 and 2534 better than 2006 when I was just coming back to the sport. Avg # of days run per week was 4.91 this year, but there were a lot of 2x per day runs during peak weeks.

Update on Race schedule for 2009:
  • I'm 59th on the Massanutten 100 waitlist. Not looking good there, so I may fly out and do the Moab 100 in March. I'd like to get another one under my belt soon (or on my belt... not sure if they award buckes).
  • Hardrock 100 application is in and the lottery is Feb 1st. Not good odds as it's my first year in the lottery there.
  • San Juan Solstice 50M registration opens next week at 2:59 am next Thurs and typically fills in a couple hours. I'm confident about getting into that one and have plans to spend about a week in Telluride with Ringo and a big group of Trailheads.
  • Cascade Crest 100 applications go in the mail Feb 9th. Should get into that without any trouble.
  • In the mean time, Uwharrie 40 is around the corner and I'm on track for a decent performance there I think.

2 comments:

George Linney (aka Monk) said...

I know Feb 7 at the Uwharrie 40 is going to produce a great result. Monk

Joseph Lea said...

Thanks Monk!

Update on 2009 plans... I got into San Juan Solstice 50M along with 7 or 8 other Trailheads! This is going to be a great trip and a beautiful course. Maybe do some trail work on the Hardrock Course while we're there to satisfy the Cascade Crest 100 requirements.