"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense."
- David Blaikie

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Week Log: Feb 18-24

Week 3 of 6 in preparation for the Jurassic Coast Challenge. Another solid week on the trails of Carolina North Forest.
  • Mon - 4 miles easy
  • Tues - 11 miles
  • Wed - 3 miles
  • Thurs - 9 (am 5.5, pm 3.5)
  • Fri - 13 (am 5.5, pm 7.5)
  • Sat - 24 (half dark, half light)
  • Sun - 16
Weekly total: 80 miles

The week started out a little rough, but ended well. I think running doubles (am & pm) and getting out with some of the Trailheads was the key to keeping the weekly mileage and pace on par. The usual long run (4 hrs , 4:20 am start) on Sat was the hardest it's been in a while, but it was nice to be joined by Gumbi (and stitch) at 5:30 and then at 6:30 by Willow, Grinz and Half Dome. These guys really pulled me along during the low points.

Sunday was a complete reversal and the 2nd Sunday in a row I felt really strong. 10.5 miles on even footing at 7 minute miles followed by another 5.5 of single track. I don't understand why I'd feel strongest the day after my longest run of the week. Conflicts with my "over training" theory about why the beginning of the week was rough. Bizarre, but I'll take it.

So far I've been training at a pretty consistent level for Jurassic Coast Challenge. Here's how the first 3 weeks look with regards to the 3 gauges I've been watching: mileage, pace, number of runs...

wk 1: 80 miles, 8 runs, 9.4 min miles
wk 2: 80 miles, 9 runs, 8.6 min miles
wk 3: 80 miles, 9 runs, 9.0 min miles

I'll take a snapshot of the average here and (80m, 8.7 runs, 8.9mm) and use this as a baseline against which to measure the buildup for Bighorn 100 where I'll try to reduce the number of runs while keeping the mileage and pace constant. Sounds simple, right?

For the next week of training for JCC I'll be breaking the routine a little and focusing on a few special things.


No comments: